Griffith John, a Christian missionary sent by the London Missionary Society to China who traveled from Shanghai to Hankou. , built the first church in Hubei Province in July 1864. Christian Tsung-Tsin Church, is a mission located in Gejiaying, Wuchang. The 150-year-old Christian Tsung-Tsin Church was the first church built in Wuhan.
Christian Tsung-Tsin Church, situated on Tanhualin Street, has an inconspicuous front gate. Travelers strolling westward along Tanhualin Street, if they are paying attention, might catch a glimpse of the iron front gate of the oldest remaining Christian church in Wuhan, possibly China.
An example of gothic architecture, this one-story church is made of wood and brick with gently sloped roofs. An aerial view of the facility shows that the layout is a cross. Pointed arches are characteristic of its gates, as well as its windows, which are made of stained glass. The church is big enough to house a congregation of 200 people. Beside the church is a small garden, a Western-style residence structure for the pastor, and two large classrooms for private schooling, which at the time of establishment was free. The front gate of the private school, which opens to Tanhualin Street, was once adorned with a plaque inscribed with three Chinese characters, "男学堂," which meant "all-boys school." The plaque was removed a few years ago.
Related: Christian Tsung-Tsin Church