The Central China headquarters for the Mission Covenant Church of Sweden, commonly known as the Swedish Parish, is located on Tanhualin Street. These buildings, which were built in 1890, originally housed a Swedish mission and the Swedish Consulate in Wuhan; both were established by the Mission Covenant Church of Sweden. In this issue, we will present the history of the Swedish Parish.
Through a Chinese-style gatehouse located on the old street of Tanhualin is a group of buildings whose architecture is reminiscent of that of Northern Europe. The buildings are located at 88, 89, 95, 97, 107 and 108 Tanhualin Street. The church buildings are two-story and four-story structures with arched corridors; they are made of brick and wood.
These buildings, which stand on uneven ground, have been gracefully arranged so that they blend in with the irregular terrain and embrace their environment. According to documents left from the time of establishment, the Mission Covenant Church of Sweden purchased the land located at the end of Tanhualin Street. On this land, two three-story, Nordic-style buildings and three one-story buildings were erected; the total area was roughly 1,746.66 square meters.