Having graduated from the Royal Institute of British Architects, R. E. Hemmings set up Hemmings & Berkley Co. in Hankou, from 1908 to 1910. The company had undertaken some construction work before, and as they were familiar with the knowledge and technology of British architecture, they were readily offered design projects from the former British Consulate and the government, as well as loans from banks.
Renowned as the most important foreign-invested architectural design company in Wuhan in the early 20th century, Hemmings & Berkley was authorized by the British concession and the Russian concession as the reviewer for architectural design and inspector for completed projects in the two areas. The six-floor office building designed by Hemmings & Berkley itself was constructed during 1920 and 1921.
Influenced by the trend of New Architecture, the building looks classic, simple, exquisite, and modern in design.