Dayuwan is a famous Chinese historical and cultural village. It was settled by a group of people who all shared the same family name, Yu. Village construction started in the Hongwu Period of the Ming Dynasty (around 1369 A.D.). This village has over 20 alleyways and over 50 stone houses, most of which are well- preserved. These time-honored structures have earned the village a reputation as a museum of Ming and Qing dynasties architecture. The Hui-style structures in the village include stone houses, carved beams, and painted rafters. Located in Huangpi District, 68 kilometers north of downtown Wuhan, the village has about 600 households and over 2,500 residents.
The Hui-style traditional dwellings built in the Ming and Qing dynasties are the village's primary historical relics, but there are many others, such as old-fashioned wooden armchairs, an imperial edict chest of Emperor Yongzheng of the Qing Dynasty, a horizontal board with inscriptions, and some wooden beds decorated with delicate wooden carvings.
Hui-style architecture features high stone walls which encircle the dwellings to form courtyards. The dwellings are built against the hills and have ponds in front. They are connected by more than 20 alleyways that run through the village. Inside the houses are wooden pillars and boards which stand in place of gable walls. There are ten dwellings with a floor area of 1,390 square meters remaining intact. 33 dwellings, buildings with a floor area of 3,228 square meters, are well preserved but with some minor damage. Some date back to the Qing Dynasty, while others date back further to the Ming Dynasty.(text source: Changjiang Weekly)